The Office of Planning and Zoning is responsible for the following:
- Reading and Interpreting the Township Ordinance
- Zoning Permits
- Driveway Permits
- Sign Permits
- Land Development
- Conditional Uses
- Solicitation Licenses
- Floodplain Management
- Property Maintenance and all other code violations
- Ordinance Development
The Township’s Zoning Officer is tasked with “Keeping Loyalsock Township Beautiful” through the administration and enforcement of Township Ordinances, Resolutions, and the International Property Maintenance Code. Code enforcement is a necessity for accomplishing community goals, such as protecting property values and the environment. Below is a list of the most common code violations. (This is not an all-inclusive list.)
- Working without obtaining the proper permit – zoning permits are required for many projects including driveways, fences, sheds, and decks
- High grass and weeds – grass and weeds may be no more than 10” in height
- Uncleared snow from sidewalks – all public sidewalks must be clear of all snow and ice within 24 hours after the snow event
- On-street vehicle and equipment violations – unlicensed, un-inspected , or damaged vehicle may NOT be parked on any public street
- On-lot storage violations of recreational equipment and unlicensed and/or un-inspected vehicles – recreational equipment is only allowed to be stored in front driveways for 48 hours and only one unlicensed or un-inspected vehicle is permitted on any property at one time, provided it is not in a state of disassembly or disrepair.
- Burning trash – in 2007 the Township adopted Ordinance No. 320 that prohibits the burning of trash in many zoning areas of the Township. click here to view the burning ordinance.
- Sidewalk violations and obstructions – public sidewalks shall remain passable at all times.
The Township’s zoning ordinance is a written regulation that defines how property in a specific zoning district can be used. Loyalsock Township is divided into seven zoning districts:
- A-R – Agricultural-Rural Residential
- RU – Residential Urban
- A-O – Apartment-Office
- C – Commercial
- C-N – Commercial-Neighborhood
- I – Industrial
- R-1 – Residential
Useful Zoning Information:
- It is essential that the proposed use of a property conform to the zoning for that district. Before purchasing a property or signing a lease, it is recommended that you check the zoning for what uses are permitted.
- Depending on the zoning and use of a property a conditional use hearing may be required. Conditional Uses require a review by the Township Planning Commission, County Planning Staff, Township Engineer, and a public hearing before the Board of Supervisors. These steps will increase the time it takes to receive an approval and zoning permit.
- Home based occupations are allowed in certain district by permit. Sometimes this accessory use may be a conditional use and not permitted by right.
- Most signs require a zoning permit. This includes wall signs, pole signs, political signs, and temporary signs. For more information, please see the sign ordinance.
- Driveway permits are required when creating a new driveway opening on Township roads, paving of an existing stone or dirt driveway, and for replacement of an existing driveway. Driveway openings on State Roads require approval from PennDOT. For these driveways you can contact PennDOT at (570) 368-8686.
2501 East Third Street
Williamsport, PA 17701
The Loyalsock Township Board of Supervisors have adopted ordinances in order to protect and promote the health and safety of the community. These ordinances are tools to guide uses of land and structures; type and location of streets, public grounds, and other facilities; and to promote the preservation of the community’s natural resources and prime agricultural and woodland areas. All Township ordinances are consistent with the requirements of the Municipalities Planning Code (MPC) which was developed by the state legislature. It is the duty of the Zoning Officer to interpret and enforce the ordinances of the Township.
Recently adopted Ordinances:
- ORD #391 – Signs
- ORD #392 – Telecommunication Towers
- Ord # 395 – Non Conforming Setbacks
- ORD #396 – NO PARKING MILLER AVENUE
- ORD #397 – NO PARKING DURING SNOW EVENTS
- ORD #399 – SOLAR ENERGY SYSTEMS
Click here for the Loyalsock Township Code
Permit App & Fee Schedule
Zoning Permit Application Standard application for all Township Zoning Permits. In order for a zoning permit application to be reviewed, the following needs to be filled out regardless of the project:
- Application Date
- Permit Type
- Location (property address)
- Type of Improvement
- Estimated Cost of Construction.
- Owners name & address / Contact Information
- Needs to be Signed and Dated
- Plot Plan Drawing – Example – Required Plot Plan for Zoning Permit Submittal
- Zoning Fee Schedule
- Fences, Accessory Structures, and Pools
- Driveway Permit Requirements
***Depending on the project, you may also need a construction/building permit. Click here to determine what permits you will need.
Land Development & Subdivisions
All plans for subdivision or land development must be reviewed by the Township’s Planning Commission and County Planning Staff, with each recommending action to the Board of Supervisors.